Monday, June 02, 2008

Divine Secrets of the Yap-Yap Sisterhood

A friend called me in last evening – she’s been married a few months – and lamented about her already unexciting sex life. And then some details followed, and by the end of it, I was in splits and trying to help her with fundas that I religiously pick from Cosmo. And this morning then another friend called who had had fantastic sex all weekend and but ofcourse, I had to hear all about it – some parts I was indifferent to, some I didn’t need to know, some I couldn’t care more about. But discussed it was and discussed it always is. And much to many boyfriends / husbands / lovers’ disapproval of this exercise, it is the practiced norm and the fact of the matter is that it’s as common as discussing what to eat for dinner.

Pajama nights start the habit I suppose – from flimsy boy talk we graduate to the relationship discussions and then we move up to the gender talk plane – where everything becomes generic and suddenly all men seem alike, much as all problems.

But more than boy talk and all that insignificant crap, there is a lot of sharing and support there – and a need to have those pillars… I hardly know of any woman who doesn’t have her thick group of lady-bugs to buggy them through the bad times and the good. And no wonder that Sex and the City does so well – its like dejavu – with the moments of “oh my god, we have had this exact conversation somewhere”!

I guess the slumber parties I’ve had and the girls nite outs I insist on has incited much curiosity amongst my male friends – some have said they’d give anything to become invisible and sit through the conversations, some have tried to bribe me into keeping the phone on to let the secrets out (fat chance!!) while some have just shrugged their shoulders and said “god only knows what you girls do in there”. Its probably equivalent to the male-locker-room talk – except that, I am told, men never get as close and as detailed with their friends as women do. Yes? No? Any comments there?

Men have close friends – but mostly it’s an unspeakable bond (or so I have been told) – but I don’t see how watching cricket together or downing litres of beers make you any closer to the other. How much of talk is really there I wonder. The man-to-man talk somehow has never impressed me. It seems….well… not as strong as female bonding.

But then again, I can’t comment coz I probably can’t understand how they bond as much as they can’t understand how we share such intimate details. To each his own and to each her own I suppose. I am terribly grateful to have the ‘ladies incorporated’ in my life and must I say, life would have been very unpleasantly different without them.

And like Carrie says “Life doesn’t always turn out to be your fantasy – that’s why you need friendships that are real to get you through it all”
So here’s to my fabulous women folk and my lady bugs – Cheers to our divine sisterhood and love to you all!

8 comments:

Mister Crowley said...

Since I've been politely requested to offer my 2 bits on this post...

Man-to-man talk is usually in code (grunts, arm movements and the like....leftovers from our cavemen days y'see)....or is telepathic...our vocal chords are usually reserved for other situations....like hollering during IPL/EPL...or hollering while drunk....or, fuck it, hollering at SOMEONE..heheheh ;)

Scarlet said...

Men r so deprived i must say. Its a universal suffering. may the forces be with y'all! :D

Mister Crowley said...

Deprived of what exactly, Tossie dear?

Nimpipi said...

yea ok, we discuss sex, now mail me the dvds. more details to swap later, btw:)

Miss P said...

i miss the all nighter chat/bitch sessions! we must reconvene and have one soon. i need that sort of purgation, pronto! bye bye my lao.

Scarlet said...

Mr.C: Deprived of the whole bonding-shonding deahhh!

Nimps: Mailing you dvds trow.shud i also put in an intimate letter? :D

Miss P: reconvention shall happen soonly. we r purgatorying forever!

Mister Crowley said...

Little ye know, gel ;)

Anonymous said...

Hahaahaahhaaaa! Men talk. Of course they do (not to men though! haha). They bond also. And with their close friends they just know stuff without discussing anything. It's quite something. So, I give them credit for that.

As for us, we talk :) a lot. And its AWEsome! The phone conversations, the sleepovers!, the approvals haha... the drunken confessions... awesome! Also, we do manage to reach that stage where you just know what the other person is thinking (thanks to all the talking!).