Thursday, August 07, 2008

My Cuppa Chai

Green & Mint tea makes me sleep well. I realized this when I woke up last night because of some inexplicable anxiety and had to brew myself a cup to soothe my jangling nerves down. After that I pretty much slept like a baby and woke up late. Why late? Because the aromatic lopchu tea reached my bedside late. And hence I realized that I am, my dear friends, totally addicted.

I can’t seem to wake up without tea. I get cranky in the evening if I haven’t got my cuppa chai. And I crave for mint tea whenever I feel uneasy – which by the way is fantastic if you make it like this:

One bag of Twinings Mint & Green tea
5-6 twigs of fresh mint leaves
Sugar / sugarfree
One mug of water.

Boil water. Put twigs in the mug. Put the tea bag and sugar. Add hot water. Let it brew for about a minute, stir with the twigs, let them stay there and sip - voila!! – life is good and soooo peaceful for the next few minutes.

That’s why I love Cha Bar – and leave no opportunity to go there on weekends - sit and sip on a cup of fine Darjeeling 2nd flush and then order some strangely concocted margarita tea and then graduate to makaibari and finish with the classic cutting masala chai. No I kid you not, I do this often – I can have innumerable number of tea cups in a day – the more the merrier.

Tea centre at Churchgate is shut for a while. I am one of the many tea-lovers waiting so badly for it to reopen – so badly that I try crossing it every time I go to colaba – even if it’s a detour – just hoping that one day the lovely old warm building with open itself to me again.

Green tea, herbal tea, mint tea, apple tea, peach tea, ice tea, masala tea, Darjeeling and assam, earl gray and Ceylon, Chinese tea, jasmine tea, any tea at all...
Its like if Heath Ledger woke up from the dead and asked me “Coffee, Tea or Me?”, without a wink of doubt it would be "Tea"!

5 comments:

Mister Crowley said...

Finally....somebody who prefers other things over Heath Ledger 9RIP, etc.) ;)

Nimpipi said...

u mix green and mint together? really..? i'm having green withdrawls. milk is such a waste in tea. as is sugar actually..

Ashesh said...

Pretty much like my mom and dad. Boy, do they love tea as well.

I'm better off with some hot coffee and some mathematical coding on my laptop. Hihi.

Cyberswami said...

you sound terribly familiar. like, head-scratchingly so.

are you? or shall i keep scratching?

Scarlet said...

Mr C: you don’t know the significance of tea in my life… the eyelids refuse to open until the aroma of freshly brewed Darjeeling flush knocks at my nostrils in the morning! 

Nimps: That particular twining comes that way – green and mint – and if you actually think of it, don’t they fit perfectly – like shoes & socks or like vada & pav.

Ash: coffee gives you zits darling! Tea is the detoxifying way to go!

Cyberswami: I think the familiarity comes from similar north-indian souls being thrown by a cruel twist of fate in the Mumbai life of rains and trains. Yes?